EMSB to support CTV Montreal’s Online Spirit of Giving
For more than a decade the English Montreal School Board has partnered with CTV Montreal for the Spirit of Giving campaign, collecting non-perishable goods, toiletries and toys to fill boxes to be donated to local charities.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the campaign will be collecting monetary donations exclusively online this year. Such a procedure was already in place for the last two years as an option. For more details go to https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/more/spirit-of-giving
The CTV Spirit of Giving started out over 20 years ago as a food drive for local charities, and included collections from schools, as well as local businesses.
It’s been a difficult year and lending a helping hand is more important than ever. The EMSB will be promoting the campaign through its schools and centres and encouraging donations. Schools which provide the most support will be featured on some CTV Montreal newscasts.
By making a donation to the CTV Spirit of Giving campaign you will:
- Help Montrealers who are struggling;
- Support the welfare of children and families;
- Improve food security/ improve access to healthy food;
- Help low-income families send their kids to school;
- Help people reintegrate into the workforce / support job training programs ;
- Promote social assistance for vulnerable Montrealers.
“Our partner charities tell us that right now financial donations have a greater impact on fighting hunger and poverty in our community than collecting food,” says CTV Montreal News Director Jed Kahane. “Through bulk purchasing and reduced rates, our charitable organizations can stretch their buying power further than we could as individuals. Some of our partners also have other needs dealing with emergency services, mental health, shelter, and other education.”
The CTV Spirit of Giving campaign will collect monetary donations and distribute them equally to all charitable recipients.
Here is a list of the deserving and hard-working charities in our community that the CTV Spirit of Giving campaign helps:
- Batshaw - Batshaw Youth and Family Centres is devoted to the welfare of children and their families.
- The Depot - a community-based non-profit organization that works collaboratively with other community partners to address issues of food security in NDG and the surrounding areas.
- La Mosaique - a volunteer and community center, a non-profit organization providing social assistance to Longueuil and surrounding areas.
- Mile End Mission - The Mile End Community Mission is a community hub that helps nourish and empower its disadvantaged members with food, fellowship and belonging.
- Multicaf – providing food security in Côte-des-Neiges since 1989.
- Nazareth Community - Non for profit residences for men and women who struggle with homelessness, mental health issues and homelessness. "Not a shelter but a home."
- Renaissance - a non-profit organization facilitating the social and professional integration of those having difficulty entering the job market, while encouraging everyone to take concrete steps towards preserving the environment.
- Share the Warmth - A non-profit organization that works to fight hunger and poverty. Share the Warmth increases access to food security and health for all, fosters the overall development of youth and offers work training programs. Access to sufficient, healthy and culturally appropriate food is an essential part of any community and the work they do. Sun Youth - Sun Youth's emergency services are designed to help families or individuals facing challenging or crisis situations by providing them with support like food, medicine, transportation and other material assets.
- West Island Assistance Fund - devoted to fighting hunger by providing nutritious food, while participating in the development of sustainable food security solutions.
Tax receipts will be issued.
This year, the campaign runs from November 30, 2020 to January 3, 2021